Invited Speaker, Discussant, and Respondent (selected)
Conference Presentations (selected)
- “'No Pressure to Do Anything but Have a Good Time': Becoming Taiwanese American in Taiwan’s Study Tour for the Second-Generation Youths." American Comparative Literature Association Annual Conference. June 2022. (Accepted)
- "‘With the Tree to Be Planted There and the Soil from Here’: Native Soil in the Oceanic Network.” The Association of Chinese and Comparative Literature Biannual Conference. June 2022 (Accepted).
- "Queering Folk Culture, Local Identity, and Nativist Literature." Queering Taiwan Studies Conference, the UCLA-National Taiwan Normal University Taiwan Initiative. April 2022.
- “Serving (in) the Empire: Serial Colonization, Politics of Mourning, and Indigenous Soldiers in Taiwan.” Association of Asian Studies Annual Conference (Online). March 2022.
- “Writing Across and Beyond: On Yūjū, Literary Translingualism, and the Question of the Mother Tongue.” Modern Language Association Annual Conference (Online). January 2022.
- “The (After)life of Xiangtu.” North American Taiwan Studies Association Annual Conference (Online). May 2021.
- “Sailing the ‘Love Boat’: Becoming Asian American in Taiwan’s Study Tour for Diasporic Chinese and Taiwanese Youth.” American Comparative Literature Association Annual Conference (Online). April 2021.
- “Writing in ‘Mama’ Tongue: Multilingual Soundscape in On Yūjū’s Writing.” Association of Asian Studies Annual Conference. Denver, CO. March 2019.
- “‘Daddy, Why Didn’t You Die?’: Sick Bodies and Ill Minds in Guo Songfen’s Short Stories.” American Comparative Literature Association Annual Conference. Los Angeles, CA. March 2018.
- “‘What If the Child Should Look Like You?’: The Impotent Husbands in Yasunari Kawabata’s ‘The Moon on the Water’ and Songfen Guo’s ‘Moon Seal.’” Modern Language Association Annual Conference. New York City, NY. January 2018.
- “Nationalism from Afar: Huang Juan and the Question of Being Chinese.” Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Conference Biannual Conference. Seoul, South Korea. July 2017.
- “How to (Not) Be Chinese: Long-Distance Nationalism and Portable Nativism in Huang Juan’s Yangmei Trilogy.” American Comparative Literature Association Annual Conference. Utrecht, the Netherlands. July 2017.
- “Between and Beyond: Kyū Eikan and the Practice of Writing in Postcolonial Displacement.” Modern Language Association Annual Conference. Philadelphia, PA. January 2017.
- “‘China Weekend’ in Iowa: Envisioning the Future of Chinese Literature.” American Comparative Literature Association Annual Conference. Boston, MA. March 2016.
- “Language as Politics: Defining the Vernacular in Colonial Taiwan.” American Comparative Literature Association Annual Conference. Seattle, WA. March 2015.
Host and Organizer of USC EASC New Book Series
Sinophone Studies, Spring 2022
Sinophone Studies, Fall 2021
Modern China, Spring 2021
- Circuit Listening: Chinese Popular Music in the Global 1960s (University of Minnesota Press, 2020) by Andrew F. Jones, with Ying Qian as discussant. Video Recording
- The Great Leap Backward: Forgetting and Representing the Mao Years (Cambria Press, 2020) by Lingchei Letty Chen, with Michael Berry as discussant.
- Why Fiction Matters in Contemporary China (Brandeis University Press, 2020) by David Der-wei Wang, with Carlos Rojas as discussant. Video Recording
- Diaspora’s Homeland: Modern China in the Age of Global Migration (Duke University Press, 2018) by Shelly Chan, with Huei-Ying Kuo as discussant. Video Recording