Invited Speaker, Discussant, and Respondent (selected)
Conference Presentations (selected)
- "Educational Activism and Community Leadership of Theodore Hsi-en Chen (1902-1991)." Association of Asian American Studies Annual Conference 2023. April 2023.
- ““What Kind of a Taiwanese Are You?”: National Longing, Cultural Belonging, and Inter-Imperial Forces from Manchukuo to North America.” Association of Asian Studies Annual Conference. February 2023.
- “'No Pressure to Do Anything but Have a Good Time': Becoming Taiwanese American in Taiwan’s Study Tour for the Second-Generation Youths in Valerie Soe's Love Boat: Taiwan." American Comparative Literature Association Annual Conference. June 2022.
- "‘With the Tree to Be Planted There and the Soil from Here’: Native Soil in the Oceanic Network.” The Association of Chinese and Comparative Literature Biannual Conference. June 2022.
- "Queering Folk Culture, Local Identity, and Nativist Literature." Queering Taiwan Studies Conference, the UCLA-National Taiwan Normal University Taiwan Initiative. April 2022.
- “Serving (in) the Empire: Serial Colonization, Politics of Mourning, and Indigenous Soldiers in Taiwan.” Association of Asian Studies Annual Conference. March 2022.
- “Writing Across and Beyond: On Yūjū, Literary Translingualism, and the Question of the Mother Tongue.” Modern Language Association Annual Conference. January 2022.
- “The (After)life of Xiangtu.” North American Taiwan Studies Association Annual Conference. May 2021.
- “Sailing the ‘Love Boat’: Becoming Asian American in Taiwan’s Study Tour for Diasporic Chinese and Taiwanese Youth in Abigail Hing Wen's Loveboat, Taipei.” American Comparative Literature Association Annual Conference April 2021.
- “Writing in ‘Mama’ Tongue: Multilingual Soundscape in On Yūjū’s Writing.” Association of Asian Studies Annual Conference. Denver, CO. March 2019.
- “‘Daddy, Why Didn’t You Die?’: Sick Bodies and Ill Minds in Guo Songfen’s Short Stories.” American Comparative Literature Association Annual Conference. Los Angeles, CA. March 2018.
- “‘What If the Child Should Look Like You?’: The Impotent Husbands in Yasunari Kawabata’s ‘The Moon on the Water’ and Songfen Guo’s ‘Moon Seal.’” Modern Language Association Annual Conference. New York City, NY. January 2018.
- “Nationalism from Afar: Huang Juan and the Question of Being Chinese.” Inter-Asia Cultural Studies Conference Biannual Conference. Seoul, South Korea. July 2017.
- “How to (Not) Be Chinese: Long-Distance Nationalism and Portable Nativism in Huang Juan’s Yangmei Trilogy.” American Comparative Literature Association Annual Conference. Utrecht, the Netherlands. July 2017.
- “Between and Beyond: Kyū Eikan and the Practice of Writing in Postcolonial Displacement.” Modern Language Association Annual Conference. Philadelphia, PA. January 2017.
- “‘China Weekend’ in Iowa: Envisioning the Future of Chinese Literature.” American Comparative Literature Association Annual Conference. Boston, MA. March 2016.
- “Language as Politics: Defining the Vernacular in Colonial Taiwan.” American Comparative Literature Association Annual Conference. Seattle, WA. March 2015.
Exhibition and Event Organizer
Host and Organizer of USC EASC Talks
- Anti-Japan: The Politics of Sentiment in Postcolonial East Asia by Leo Ching
Sinophone Studies, Spring 2022
Modern China, Spring 2021
- Circuit Listening: Chinese Popular Music in the Global 1960s (University of Minnesota Press, 2020) by Andrew F. Jones, with Ying Qian as discussant. Video Recording
- The Great Leap Backward: Forgetting and Representing the Mao Years (Cambria Press, 2020) by Lingchei Letty Chen, with Michael Berry as discussant.
- Why Fiction Matters in Contemporary China (Brandeis University Press, 2020) by David Der-wei Wang, with Carlos Rojas as discussant. Video Recording
- Diaspora’s Homeland: Modern China in the Age of Global Migration (Duke University Press, 2018) by Shelly Chan, with Huei-Ying Kuo as discussant. Video Recording